From high on its cliff 150 m above the river, the Bastide town of Domme dominates the Dordogne valley and offers the most beautiful panorama. Built in 1281 on the orders of King Philippe III Le Hardi. This “Royal” bastide had a very restless time during the Hundred Years’ War because of its strategic location. Steeped in history, its past can be discovered through the alleys, fortifications, fortified doors and other architectural jewels. The bastide town has the added attraction of having been built on a calcareous rock containing the biggest natural visitable cave in Black Périgord.
For further information